When you think of summer, you think of warm cozy nights, camping, crickets chirping, BBQs, and watermelon. So. Much. Watermelon. Which is a wonderful thing.
My mom always taught me a few tricks about picking out a good one (when buying a whole one), and that was to smell the ends and knock on it to see if it sounds hallow. My friend Cassie just taught me that you also want to look for a large yellow spot aka “sun spot” because it means it should be nice and ripe. That being said, I picked out the perfect watermelon for out 4th of July BBQ, but we had SO much of it, I froze a bunch.
Using the frozen watermelon, I made healthy watermelon sorbet and a healthy watermelon cocktail (coming soon). The sorbet is family and kiddo friendly, and just enough balance of sweet and sour – delish! And a new summer fav in our house, so hope you enjoy!
use organic, non-GMO fruit when possible; recipe is dairy free and gluten free
- 1 1/2 cup frozen watermelon
- 3 frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 pink lemon, with the rind removed or 1 pink lemon’s juice
- Add all listed ingredients to a high-power blender and blend until thick but smooth consistency forms
- Immediately serve and enjoy!