I got so excited when I saw pasta salad on TIU’s weekly meals this week because I LOVE pasta salad. But what I love even more is my mom’s. So when it comes to other recipes, I don’t even bat an eye at them because I’m “brand” loyal to my mama’s. It reminds me of summer, backyard BBQs, the Fourth of July, and swimming in our pool as kids.
If you’re looking for another variation of a pasta salad recipe, from my family to yours, I hope you love this! *Be forewarned, I’m a huge garlic lover, so if you’re bringing this to work or eating before a date, be sure to pack a toothbrush in your lunchbox 😉
Mom’s Pasta Salad
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 small can black olives, drained
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 10 baby carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 5 radishes, chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Optional if eating immediately: 1 cup spinach, chopped [I don’t use spinach if I’m saving portions, because I don’t like soggy greens]
- Optional if eating immediately: 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes [These get too mooshy when saving leftovers]
- Optional if not eating clean: small balls of mozzarella, chopped
- 2 cups whole wheat or quinoa pasta, cooked & cooled
*Meal idea: add 2 chopped chicken breasts or a can of tuna to take this from side dish to main course.
Dressing Recipe & Directions:
Store in a mason jar; refrigerate if using Sealand Birk; if not, no need to refrigerate. Use within 1-2 weeks.
- 1/2 cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon agave or honey
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Flavor God
- 1 teaspoon Spicy Flavor God
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon & Garlic Flavor God
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive or grape seed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons water or Sealand Birk, original
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar. Before using, shake well so everything is evenly distributed.
Pasta Salad Directions:
- In large mixing bowl, add all veggies & mix
- Drizzle dressing over veggies until all are evenly coated
- Add cooked pasta and thoroughly mix everything together
- If pasta needs more dressing, add sparingly, until you reach satisfied amount of coverage
- Serve & enjoy! This dish tastes amazing leftover; store in a tight tupperware & use within 4 days.
- Optional: add fresh parsley or paprika to top before serving.
Making this pasta salad this week! Using as an substitute for some meals in the 8-week TIU program. Thanks!!!
Awesome! Hope you loved it! Have a wonderful week ahead XO