We’ve all read the article claiming millennials “can’t afford to buy homes because they’re too busy buying avocado toast.”
And as a millennial, I say, actually, we can’t buy homes because they’re expensive AF and we don’t get paid enough to keep up with the price of living in today’s society.
Anyway – this post is about TOAST. And how although rent/home prices may be total shit in California, we have freaking GOOD avocados, so, we capitalize on them. For every meal. Plus, they’re loaded in healthy fats and omega-3s, so unless you have an allergy, you know you love them (or should).
When I moved away from Encinitas, I missed my friends first and the food second. Seriously – one of the biggest cons listed on my pro and con moving list was THAT LEUCADIA AND ENCINITAS FOOD THO. I love it. It’s me in a menu. It’s my spirit animal in a town. But, ultimately, family and best friends > food, so I’ve been crafting up all the foods I miss most from local beachside coffee shops, like avocado toast.
With that, here’s a few of my personal toast recipes that are favs among my friends and fam –
Use bread, gluten-free bread, or sweet potato slices as the base.
For all avocado toasts listed, I use my universal avocado homemade herb spread; the recipe is
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel seasoning
- Pinch of salt + black pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- Dash of onion powder
- Mix like guacamole and use as your avocado spread.
Blackberry Herb Goat Cheese Avocado Toast with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Avocado spread
- Organic blackberries
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Herb and chive goat cheese (use cashew cheese or leave out if vegan or dairy-free)
- Drizzle a thick balsamic vinegar on top
Cherry Tomato and Marinated Onion Avocado Hummus Toast
- Organic cherry tomatoes, washed and sliced with seeds removed
- Marinated onions (sharing my recipe here soon)
- Avocado spread
- Hummus of choice
- Optional – add goat cheese or sheep’s milk feta cheese
- Optional – top with freshly ground pepper or Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning and chives
Almond Butter Strawberry Banana Toast with Honey and Cinnamon
- Almond butter or cashew butter (use sunflower butter if you need to avoid nuts due to allergy or preference)
- Sliced banana
- Sliced organic strawberries
- Top with organic ground cinnamon and drizzle with local raw honey