Healthy Crockpot Kung Pow Chicken
It’s the last week having my sister visit, and I’m so going to miss her in the kitchen with me 😦 This week we wanted to create a clean Kung Pow chicken recipe that was crockpot friendly and we did just that! Introducing Sar to all the clean cooking alternatives I use in my kitchen has been so much fun! We bounce ideas off of each other like those silly paddles with a ball attached by a string….so, with that, enjoy this yummy crockpot chicken recipe with a kick! Because crockpots trump takeout any day!
- 4 organic chicken breasts
- 1 organic red bell pepper, diced
- 1 organic green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 4-5 organic zucchini, spiraled (I LOVE my Paderno spiralizer I bought off Amazon) to make “zoodles”; if your zoodles are never ending, cut at about 6-8″ so you can eat them easier
- 4 tablespoons unsalted, unskinned, shelled peanuts
- About 6 scallions or chives, sliced (I used chives because my garden has them)
- 1 small can of sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed (dry these out on a paper towel while you prep sauce)
- 1 small can of bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos “Soy” Sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar or organic balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 shake of Chinese 5-Spice Powder
- 3/4 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons coconut sugar, organic, raw honey, or 100% pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes or 1/4 dried chili pepper, diced (use more or less depending on how much heat you can take)
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients [aminos, vinegar, water, tomato paste, sugar/honey/syrup, arrowroot, Chinese 5-spice, oils, ginger, garlic & red pepper flakes].
- In a small sauce pan, add sauce mixture and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened and bubbling, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside. (You can also just place all sauce ingredients into crockpot once they’re mixed together, simmering just ensures proper thickness occurs).
- Turn crockpot on low and place chicken breasts in
- Add diced bell pepper & onion
- Add bamboo shoots and water chestnuts
- Pour sauce mixture on top of chicken & veggies (sneak in more veggies if desired; broccoli & carrots are delish with this sauce too! You may just need to double up on the recipe depending on how many extra you add).
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked through, or high for 4-5 hours, until chicken is fully cooked through.
- About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve, add zoodles on top of chicken to steam and get al dente.
- Remove zoodles and place in four bowls.
- Add chicken on top of zoodles, sprinkling peanuts and scallions on top of each serving
- Grab some chopsticks and enjoy this healthy, clean, take out alternative!
*Serve with steamed Edamame and Bragg’s Liquid Aminos as a dipping sauce as a yummy appetizer! Or cook up a batch of cauliflower fried rice to serve as an additional clean, healthy side!
Shelley & Sarah