MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH
What else does a mama do on Mother’s Day morning besides give their sweet baby a million kisses and dream of staying in bed all morning?! Scroll through their Insta and Pinterest feeds, of course!
This Mother’s Day is kind of a weird one, as it’s just Tan & me, but everyone deserves to feel special on Mother’s Day, so I wanted to pretend we were at brunch, without the hassle. Hassle as in, brunch with a toddler is as peaceful as opening a tiger’s cage at the zoo, so I didn’t mind staying at home and enjoying a “lazy” [there’s no such thing as that with an almost 2-year old] morning. I saw French Toast pop up on my Pinterest feed, and decided that’s exactly what I wanted to make, since I had all the ingredients already. I wanted something toddler-friendly, so went with French Toast bites and HOLY MOLY they were DELISH!
Since it’s Mother’s Day & I was out of coconut sugar, we got to splurge on the real thing [shame on me, I know!] CleanISH eating mama, remember?! But for the most part, this can be a super healthy version of French Toast, and was absolutely incredible! Toddler AND mama approved!
HEALTHY[ER] CINNAMON-SUGAR FRENCH TOAST BITES
- 4 slices of whole grain Ezekiel bread, toasted [or stale]
- Ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Granulated sugar [or an additional tablespoon of coconut sugar]
- 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fried Banana Topping:
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Toast Ezeikel bread slices until crispy. Or, if using stale bread, slice into chunks.
- While waiting for bread to toast, in a small mixing bowl, combine 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon with 1 tablespoon brown or coconut sugar. Add tablespoon granulated sugar [or another tablespoon of coconut sugar]
- Slice each piece of bread into chunks. Each slice can yield about 9 mini squares [3×3]
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix 2 eggs, coconut milk, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk together until well blended
- Heat skillet until warm and add 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Dip chunks of bread into ‘batter’ until coated evenly
- Place each chunk on skillet, flipping sides until semi-crispy
- As soon as sides are browned and no longer soggy, throw chunks into cinnamon-sugar mixture, until evenly coated
- Place coated French Toast bites to side, and get ready to make banana topping
- With skillet still warmed, add 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- In small bowl, mix 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon with 1 tablespoon brown or coconut sugar.
- Add sliced bananas and coat evenly, until banana slices are well ‘battered‘
- Toss each sliced banana into skillet, and let “fry” until each piece is browned and semi-crispy on each side
- Add bananas with any other choice of fruit to French Toast bites and serve!
- Top with Greek yogurt, melted berry compote, peanut butter, or syrup.