TUMS & GUNS 30-DAY CHALLENGE
Ahhhh can you even believe that December is coming to a close and the new year will be here before we know it?! I’m not really sure where 2014 decided to disappear to, but I swear, each year the weeks, months, and years fly by faster and faster. I don’t know if we just get busier, life gets more hectic, or what, but it’s crazy how fast time moves right in front of us. Because of that, be sure to soak in each and every moment, take pauses to smell the roses, and really savor each day, each experience, each adventure…focus on moments this 2015. Technology and social media can hog peace and can burden experiences; we’ve all been there – a dinner, get-together, party, etc., and everyone is sitting there on their phones updating their Facebook status, scrolling through their Instagram newsfeed.. I know I’m guilty of being an Insta-holic, especially with TIU. Instagram will always be there, precious moments won’t. Remember that this year 🙂
Speaking of moments, make 2015 one of your best years yet by focusing on YOU. Your health, your strengths, how you want to feel, and what you want to achieve. Through the TIU community I’ve met SO MANY amazing women who motivate me, inspire me, support me, and who I feel like actually genuinely care about me and want to see me succeed. One of those women is Shelby, AKA @Shabelby_TIU to the TIU Insta/Twitter world. Many of you saw and/or participated in the 30-day squat challenge she hosted during the month of December. I was completely inspired to jump in & had planned on hosting a New Year challenge to kick off 2015, so I knew she would be the absolute perfect TIU soul sista to partner with me. Shelby’s posts are always inspiring and give you the urge to stop what you’re doing and tackle a workout with no excuses. She is strong, sweet, and we have this creepy-twin-psychic-wavelengths thing going on, where we always seem to be thinking the same things, sharing the same thoughts, and it’s like we were just meant to “meet”. I love that the TIU community doesn’t try to step on toes, overpower each other, one up each other, or out do one another; we’re all here to uplift and join as forces to be the best versions of ourselves we can be. It’s amazing to find that within women, and within the crazy world in general. I love that Shelby has become my #twinning TIU soul sista, and am so thankful the TIU community has brought our west coast paths to cross [even if just through Instagram for now!] She truly is the definition of share.love.inspire.sweat. With that, we can’t wait to have you join us in our #TIUTumsandGuns 30-day fitness challenge!!!!
No one said it would be easy, but it will be worth it!
If trying something new doesn’t completely terrify you, it means you’re not stepping outside of your comfort zone. Trying new things, whether experiences or adventures, doesn’t come easy to most people. We like the security of routines, familiarity, and the sense of belonging. I often find it’s terrifying to walk into a new gym, go to a new fitness class alone, or even start a new hobby. But once you dive in and get comfortable, it’s the best feeling ever! That’s how Shelby and I want you to look at this Tums & Guns Challenge. Look at it ONE DAY AT A TIME. We’re posting the 30-day calendar so you have a printable reference to hang on your fridge, keep in your gym bag, or wherever your little heart desires. If you look ahead to the last week, you’re going to pee your pants. Don’t do that! Take each day at a time. Your body – your core – your mind – will get stronger and stronger with each passing day, and each passing week, and you’ll truly be amazed with how far you come. Take the squat challenge for example – how scary was it to look at the last day?! Didn’t you tell yourself there was no physical way you’d ever be able to complete nearly 200 squats?! How easy does doing 20 squats feel now?? #canIgetanAmen?? We PROMISE you if you just take each day at a time, each crunch at a time, each rep at a time, YOU CAN DO THIS. We’re here to support you and be your biggest fans!
Please remember it is ALWAYS okay to modify. If your body is telling you you can’t do as many reps that are listed, listen to it! Even if you have to repeat the moves from day one or the moves from week one over and over and over again, rather than climbing up in reps. that is perfectly okay! The point is you’re doing it! You’re making progress! You’re doing something new, something challenging, something that is going to pay off in the end. No one said it would be easy, but it will so be worth it!
So what is the Tums & Guns Challenge?
- It’s a 30-day arms and abs challenge that will build strength in your core, arms, and your entire body!
How do I join?
- Follow both Shelby & I on Instagram [@tiu_shelley + @shabelby_tiu] and each calendar day complete the set of moves listed. When you’re starting your workout, or when you complete your workout, check in with us on Instagram by using the hashtag #TIUTumsandGuns with your post, along with tagging the both of us so we can see! Shelby I both run accountability groups, so we both want to see your check-ins within our fit fams!! Two forces are better than one! My TIU accountability subgroup is #TIUseashells and Shelby’s is #ItstheTIUlife, so we want to see our groups come together and absolutely rock this challenge! Simply check off each day of the calendar once you complete its moves!
- Post before pictures using our hashtag [perfect to keep you accountable for the LYB series and this challenge!!]. Before and after pictures will be part of your submission to win AMAZING prizes!
Wait, what’s a TIU Subgroup?
- There are hundreds of thousands of active TIU members, so there are a handful of women within the TIU community that have created subgroups by creating unique hashtags for their groups to check-in with. The point is to create a smaller subgroup within TIU that provides support, encouragement, and a place of belonging and comfort within the masses. For example, with #TIUseashells that started during 2014’s Bikini Series, I can click on that hashtag and interact and support a smaller number of women, and build friendships. I see familiar places, recognize the people I follow and who follow me, and feel a sense of community and home, like a safe little hub within a big city kind-of-thing 😉 Shelby built the same idea with her subgroup #ItstheTIUlife. We’re both natural leaders and like to build a sense of belonging within such a large organization, TIU, through our personality styles.
Are there prizes for check-ins?
- YES!!! Ohhh yes! Remember how I said Shelby & I make a great team?! I created the calendar and she created this incredible prize bundle!!!! Ready for your jaws to drop!? There will be ONE grand prize winner chosen who will receive all of these amazing goodies!!!!! Stay tuned for submission details & rules near the end of the challenge! Grand prize winner will be chosen based on check-ins, support offered within the #TIUTumsandGuns challenge, before & after submissions, and a video entry (details coming soon!)
- > TIU Blender Bottle- Pink
> TIU Coconut Water- 1 Box of 10
> Tone It Up Sticker Decal
> TIU Keychain- Silver
> Beach Babe Wrap Bracelet- Teal & White
> Bamboo Style Dry Shampoo- Mango Coconut
> Beach Babe Lip Balm- 3 Pack
> Perfect Fit Multivitamin- 2 Sample Pack’s
> Perfect Fit Protein- 4 Chocolate Packets
> Nature Box Snack- Salted Caramel Pretzel Pops
> Nature Box Snack- Apple Pie Oat Clusters
> TIU Necklace- Silver
What if I can’t do that many reps of something?
- That’s okay!!! We want you to challenge yourself and your body [doubt and fear can be more damaging than the physical activity themselves so stay positive!] but never overdo. We are not certified personal trainers so it is your responsibility to check with your health care provider prior to beginning a new fitness routine like this calendar. Listen to your body. Never perform moves you’ve been advised against, and never push yourself too hard where you may get hurt. Follow the calendar every day and be sure to rest on listed rest days. There are moves still listed on rest days because life gets busy, and people have to skip workouts here and there. Those moves are listed so if you miss another day, you can still follow along without getting behind. It is ALWAYS okay to modify. Scale the move or scale down the number of reps to what makes you feel comfortable.
- By increasing the number of reps every day you will grow stronger, fitter, and more confident!
Are you guys personal trainers?
- Not yet! One of my goals this year is to study toward earning my certified my personal training certificate. I never in a million years thought that would be something I’d be interested in, or even capable of. Thanks to the incredible support from the TIU community, I’ve found a new passion for health, fitness, and inspiring others to lead a healthy lifestyle, so cannot wait for this new journey!!! I know Shelby feels the same way, so our opportunities are endless! Just like yours! It’s never too late to be who you want to be, or begin a new adventure!
- Be sure to consult your health care provider before beginning our challenge. We are not doctors so cannot offer certified advice. It is your responsibility to seek out a certified trainer or health care professional prior to trying new fitness programs. We are not liable for injuries. This calendar is simply a guide.
- Always stay hydrated prior to workouts, within workouts, and after workouts to refuel your body and flush out toxins!
We’ll also be creating daily & weekly check-in pictures to share using the #TIUTumsandGuns hashtag, so stay tuned!!!
Download your 30-day Tums & Guns Challenge here!!
If you’re just as excited about this challenge as we are, shout it from the Insta mountain tops by reposting this!
Shelley & Shelby!
(say that five times fast!)